Monday, November 7, 2011

Song 1 Update

Hi folks,

Here's a link to the latest animation in Song 1. Only shots 5 and 9 are new. Though both shots were high-ranked on my shot list, they took even longer than anticipated to finish. (Particularly shot 5, even though it's only 2 seconds long.) At this rate, I'll certainly have to cut the film, starting with Elixir at Wixor and, if needed, shortening She's Not Into You. I'd hate to make either of these cuts, but I'll go ahead and plan to, and if I miraculously have extra time next semester, I'll add them back in.

My biggest concern for Song 1 so far is whether or not all the action reads. This song in particular tries to cram a whole lot of exposition in a very short period of time. Even more will be crammed when I add the remaining 4 shots.

Thoughts/comments on Song 1 so far? Suggestions for the animation? How is it playing so far? What isn't working?

3 comments:

  1. Hey Joe! This is looking really great! My only concern is that the vibrancy of the backgrounds seem to compete with the characters. When I am watching the film I seem to get lost on where I'ms supposed to look. Perhaps tone them down or desaturate them slightly? If you notice, Sir Knightly is the exact same color as the sky, so he disappears. what do you think?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Diana on this. Although the backgrounds look amazing, their vibrant colors do conflict with the characters in the foreground.

    I already talked with you about this, but make sure the animation of the book cover opening is a little smoother. As you said, adding a glint or glare passing through on the gold lettering would really enhance the scene. As Jesse noted, you can also make the drawbridge come down sooner. This will allow the audience to have time to register the characters inside.

    The scene where they are dancing, you could also play with the idea of him quickly spinning and letting go of her, accidentally causing her go over the cliff. Also, at 0:37 when he is talking at the camera, you can stage him a little more to the side because he is nearly center in frame.

    Overall, it looks amazing and great work. I especially love the secondary animation when Doofus stops and the princess goes flying over. I think the length for this scene is perfect and everything else seems to be working. With concerns to the length of the entire film, you can afford cutting out one of the songs.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This might be a trivial question but when Sir Knightly yells "Alright would you knock it off already?" Is he supposed to have a neck? I notice his design has one in all other shots.

    Other than that, great work Joe! :D I really can't wait to see more and do hope you won't have to cut any - though it happens and all will turn out wonderful either way. :D

    ReplyDelete