Thursday, March 24, 2011

Visual Development - Color Palettes

Here's a shot of Danny's hallway in a few different color schemes. I'm going for a simple, newspaper-cartoony style with a lot of black but also bright, solid colors. I think I'll avoid textures so that the characters, props, and backgrounds all fit together seamlessly.

 Blue Palette

 Pink Palette

Cartoony Palette

Neutral Palette

Blue Palette with Feathers' legs

Neutral Palette with Feathers' legs

I'm currently working on some color tests with the characters included in the shots, which I'll post soon. Stay tuned!

8 comments:

  1. I love the cartoony look of your backgrounds. I worry that if they are too colorful your characters could become lost in them. I recommend muting them a little more than your characters.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really love the blue (first) one Joe! You could really pop the colors of characters or whatever you needed to with that one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the neutral colors. I agree with Sheila, you may need to tone down the colors to heighten your characters. The perspective of Feather's legs makes them seem larger than they should be - maybe bring them closer to the camera. Other than that, the backgrounds look incredible! This piece is really coming together.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like the shadows in the rooms but will the characters move through them or just be on top of them? These are the questions that must most have answers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is all food for thought...I think the best response will be to produce some new concept art and try to address these issues. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Maybe the blue house, with the neutral kitchen. The pink looks kind of girly and/or scary, depending on the context.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lego one looks a little too Pee-Wee playhouse for me.

    Blue living room and pink-ish kitchen work for me. Just make sure that the palettes work well enough for your characters to pop out.

    ReplyDelete
  8. and by lego, I mean cartoony

    ReplyDelete